I realized how sheltered I was during my middle and high school.
I realized how hard it is to make good friends, as opposed to just acquaintances.
I realized how good my English is.
I realized how important and enjoyable learning other languages can be.
I realized how the real world works, just a little tidbit of it.
I realized that I would have to work in the future, whether I like to or not, just to support myself.
I realized how disorienting different cultures and settings can be.
I realized how hard it is to save up money.
I realized the issue of adjusting to college so suddenly from high school.
I realized the multiple kinds of people there are in the world.
To summarize, I realized a lot of things that I never did realize in high school.
It doesn't exactly help too that in high school I am almost never allowed to go here and there, do this and that.
Now that I was set free oh-so-suddenly when I came to the US, my early college life consisted of a continuance of dependence on my parents. That I had to get their approval in order to take this class, to buy things, et cetera. That does not seem to be the case from the start, but I sure did feel like it.
Now that I'm kind of left alone, it's pretty shocking when I learned that other people are given a bit more leeway in their activities during school. I never got to hang out with lots of people that aren't from the same school. I never got to know many places to eat. I never got to know some common knowledge I never heard of.
It all changes so drastically, and I'd bet it'll continue to change much more in the coming future. When I move to Taiwan, it will be a sort of a tough test for me. I don't like it, but what can I do. It just occurred to me that spending this time of my life doing fun stuff seems awfully fun. It seems that if this goes on forever, it would be the best thing ever. Going to school, studying, playing, going out with friends, figuring out how to mask your insecurities..
Soon enough I'll be thrust into the real world and I'll have to find my own way from there. The thought sounds pretty depressing.
.. Anyway, Chinese and physics homework due tomorrow. So that's it for today.


"I realized how hard it is to make good friends, as opposed to just acquaintances."
ReplyDeleteTwenty years into my life I still have the same problem. Plenty of acquaintances, very few true, good friends.
"I realized the issue of adjusting to college so suddenly from high school."
Eh, to be fair, all of us can only realize this thing when we got to college. Fortunately for me, college life >>> my high school life.
Mmm, I guess it IS partly my fault that I don't hang around the main people much. Because to do so, that would require me staying over at one friend's house, and I'm not one into staying over somewhere every single day. I love home, wherever it may be.
ReplyDelete