Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Digipen!

Alright, today I went to Digipen at Ken's request. What is Digipen? Some kind of university offering gaming degrees. Ask him, he knows more of it than I do.

So I took off the bus from school and went here:






























Nintendo and Digipen is in the same building, just on different sides. Wow.















The main lobby, right after I entered. I was really near the stairs.. and...















This is what awaits upstairs. Waiting room and the front office. Some lady takes a looooong long time talking to the person that scheduled the tour with me. So I waited around and took pictures.


































Some awards on show. Notice the Orange Box was there, I'm going to give more details later.





















So I noticed a folder when I sat down on the sofa. Concept work for a game or an animation, I dunno. *opens*

































































































































Uhuh. That's the characters. Next would be the environment and stuff. Foliage (trees), the atmosphere, etc.


















































This is I suppose an animation. Instead of people, the creators used bottles of mustard. I went wtf and lol'd at the thing. The characters are bottles of mustard ffs!































































Storyboard of the film.


































Just excerpts anyway. The one below, I suppose, would be like promotional posters for the film.















So when she's done with this lady (with her big-ass dog and also husband), she went ahead and gave me a tour. I forgot to take a pic of the largest computer lab, but it's decently sized. Anyways, this is the lecture classroom for computer science and stuff. It's quite larger than what it appears to be in this photo.















Next would be the smaller computer lab for modelling and stuff, I think.





























This is the auditorium. Events take place here, guest speakers go on here, and staffs of game companies gather people here to give talks about their respective companies or advertise on stuff. While I was taking a photo of this, some people were up front, discussing about something on the whiteboard. It's not that big, but well, just exend the picture below a bit and there you have it.
















After she showed me around, I said thanks to her and went off on my own to take pictures I've missed just now to listen to what she has to say.




















The long list of awards given to games developed by DigiPen students. Notice in about 2005 , some game called Nerbacular Drop is there. The developers of Nerbacular Drop later would all be employed by Valve, and that game would later be called Portal. You know Portal.






























Some boards on the corridor with artwork on them.































































Student Postings board! Stuff for students to post up: clubs, looking for homes, looking for people to test games, etc. I was pleasantly surprised to see Saber on there, as well as Starcraft.

This is the.. kitchen? I dunno what to say >_>. Fridge for student use, and some vending machines and stuff.















Cafeteria down below.












































Another student postings board.












































Some artwork on display in the corridor. Didn't took them all as they'd be too much for my camera to handle (lol no just kidding I'm a lazy bastard)





























And another you-know-what. Also, lol can anyone confirm who it is in the anime thingy above? Is it CC and Lelouch? I'm not sure. :S















Ping-pong table along with some board games. The person who gave me the tour said that Nintendo is going to give DigiPen a Wii developmental stuff to create games on Wii or something like that. They say they're gonna make this room (I think this is the student lounge of some sort) into the lab for developing Wii games.
















Another computer lab, this one for upperclassmen (2nd and 3rd year). It has better specs than the usual computer on the other labs.













































































Other stuff on the wall.
















































The person who gave me the tour was Angela Kugler. She said for people to e-mail her if you have any questions. So go email her already, Ken.

That concludes our tour to Digipen. It was a nice campus. Not too big, but a bit on the small side. They say out of the 800 people enrolling there now, about 40 are international students. Acceptance rate? 49-51%.

Also, I just found out Valve is right beside Bellevue Square. lol. I didn't know that. That was the main campus of DigiPen anyways, I might go to the Art Campus on Thursday. That's that.

PS. lol sorry about 50 photos. lol. 132 MB in all. >_>

No comments:

Post a Comment